header image

Does Good Teaching Matter? Week 1 Reflection

When asked to reflect upon the question “Does good teaching matter?” I immediately come to the most obvious conclusion “Well, of course it does!”  For the purpose of the reflection, however, I wanted to take a step back and analyze why I felt so compelled to answer the question that way.  What inspires people to become teachers, and more personally importantly, what was my inspiration? What does it take to become considered a good teacher? What does “good teaching” consist of and why is it so important?   There are many reasons for choosing teaching as a profession: the love of children, desire to instill knowledge upon students, performing a valuable service to society, or for the various job benefits associated with the profession. (Ornstein, Levine, Gutter. 2001)  Personally, I have always wanted to become a teacher, and from a young age was interested in expanding what I know. My passion for learning has evolved into a desire to teach at the elementary level, where students are most impressionable—I want to instill the foundation upon which students will thrive to learn new things both academically and in life.  A good teacher “understands how to connect concepts and use differing perspectives to engage learners in critical thinking, creativity, and collaborative problem solving related to authentic local and global issues.” (The InTASC Model Core Teaching Standards, April 2011, At A Glance) Good teachers encourage academic, personal, and comprehensive development of students, and at the elementary level this is extremely important for the growing mind. The first step to good teaching is inward reflection of the profession.  A good teacher who has strong convictions about being a teacher matters because that enthusiasm for learning will naturally be passed from teacher to student.  A good teacher must be fully committed to their job in order to be effective.

There are concrete steps aspiring teachers must take in order to become a good teacher, the first meeting the qualifications of teaching.  To become an elementary school teacher, qualification differs from state to state. However all qualifications usually involve endorsement courses, rigorous courses in education, and active participation at local elementary schools, and teacher certification and exams.   After initial teacher licensure is completed, a good teacher should continue to take courses and perform assessments in so that teaching is an ongoing learning experience, for both the student and the educator.  Attaining proper levels of education to become a good teacher matters because it allows for teachers to be confident in the classroom.  According to the Education Trust Report, to become a “good” elementary teachers there are six common sense steps each state must take to improve teacher quality, among those steps universities recruiting quality students of education, and investing in quality professional development for already certified and employed teachers. (Brennan)

Good teaching also involves what is known as reflective teaching. “Reflective teachers frequently observe and think about the results of their teaching and adjust their methods accordingly” (Ornstein, Levine, Gutter, 2001). Reflective teaching allows room for adaptation, which is necessary for the organic learning environment of the classroom.  According to the video case study about teacher accountability, it is important to collect data about teaching methods and student records found through assessment of individual lessons.  Analyzing data is part of the reflective teaching process because it encourages teachers to look at how students responded to the lesson, and enhance the learning experience for students.  As a good teacher, there is always room for improvement and another chance at the lesson, an idea vital to good teaching. (“Teacher Accountability: A Student Teacher’s Perspective.”)

Good teaching matters because at the very basic level it helps students become learners.  Good teacher preparation has many benefits, among them higher testing scores, better educated lower income and minority youth, and instilment of overall satisfaction of leaning in a child.  Children at the elementary level are so vulnerable that good teaching is of up most importance so that they may one day grow into an active member of the society.  Good teaching includes the willingness to impart knowledge on young minds, as well as the willingness of teachers to learn and develop themselves throughout their career.

References  

Ornstein, A. C., Levine, D. U., & Gutek, G. L. (2011). Foundations of Education   (11th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth CengageLearning.

Brennan, Jeanne. (1998, August 10). Education Trust Report: Good Teaching Matters..a lot. Retrieved from <http://www.edtrust.org/dc/press-room/press-release/education-trust-report-good-teaching-mattersa-lot>.

Video Case Study. “Teacher Accountability: A Student Teacher’s Perspective.”

The InTASC Model Core Teaching Standards, At A Glance. April 2011

Image retrieved from: http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/11/16-22/teacher.jpg

~ by hgluchow on .

Uncategorized

2 Responses to “Does Good Teaching Matter? Week 1 Reflection”

1. […] we have Heather exploring the same question, does teaching matter? Her idea is yes, but teachers need to have a […]

2. I completely agree with your insights! As a preschool teacher, I can vouch for the vulnerability and complexities of the children. I like that you pointed out the importance of teachers furthering their own development. In a study conducted by Teach for America, they found that one of the most important qualities of a highly effective teacher was the ability to be self-reflective. I’d have to say that I agree, the ability to reflect on your own styles and the ability to change your techniques to be more effective, are key to being an effective teacher.